Friday, October 08, 2004

birthday journal entry: (with parts of Bob Dylan's Not Dark Yet)

Shadows are falling and I've been here all day

it's 4 in the morning and i still can't sleep
another birthday but this one is different
i've gained life and lose life

It's not dark yet, but it's getting there

the day starts the same as a friday does
woke up, got out of bed, drag a comb across my head
stretched, took a nap, ran out the house, picked up john

Behind every beautiful thing there's been some kind of pain

there have been twenty seven birthdays before this one
only 5 have stood out. 10 years old, i have a big party with friends
17 i brought things with my own money,
19 i had just come back from Cuba, everything was good then.
22 i spent it in Puerto Rico, and this one
27, in the last few posts i talk about mortality alot
because the way i was before i starting writing poetry
i wouldn't have made it this far, i know that for real

I was born here and I'll die here against my will

John Pablo was born last November on the 17th at 9:pm sharp
and he's almost a year, and i think he is beautiful and wonderful
there is no life before him, i'm trying to figure out when i've been
more marute/grown up (there is a difference) and he's laughs
with his two teeth

I've followed the river and I got to the sea

back in new york and i'm grateful for it, my mother is a fighter
i feel blessed to be in the position i've been the past years
it may be 27 but there are days it might be 47

I can't even remember what it was I came here to get away from

i've been "living, exploring, writing, since i was 14 i've been hanging
out in NYC almost every weekend, warm day, cold day, rainy day dream away
so i feel older than most people which is probably why i act like 16 year old
when i'm 26 but laughter is laughter, learn to love it, i have

(i'm tired but happy)
(hurt but not jaded)

It's not dark yet, but it's getting there.


Sincerely Yours
Bonafide Rojas
poet
musician: The Mona Passage



4 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

happy birthday, you nutty fucker.

the cousin you hate,
Profe

6:26 PM  
Blogger Fish said...

mira Cabron!! Happy Birthday!!!

3:21 AM  
Blogger Raina said...

Already got birthday greetings from me, but what the hell: happy birthday, love! Hope you had a fantastic day!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Curtis Bryan said...

happy birthday b rojas
happy birthday to you
another year gone
another year through
you published your book
you got yourself a son
you've been on def poetry
you've even inspired me
to love to write again
to speak from my heart
and to speak the truth
for this I want to thank you

happy birthday to you

Curtis

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home